Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Drawing Series of a favorite rose


Rosa gallica 'Officinalis' - colored pencil on h/p watercolor paper 

One my favorite plants in the cottage garden behind our house are the roses. I really love the old- fashioned types ~ lovely forms and scents. Probably the most fragrant is the Rosa gallica ‘Officinalis’, a beautiful clear pink with an amazing scent. It only blooms for a short while in late spring/early summer so I try to gather a few flower heads to dry for potpourri or just to fill a bowl of dried petals to scent a corner of the room. They keep their scent very well when dried.

I was happy to be able to do a drawing of a single blossom last year. It actually took a couple of years to complete as the flower wilted and lost its petals very quickly and I had to put the piece away to do other things. Thankfully, with the aid of photographs, a few detailed sketches, measurements and color notes I was able to get a good likeness.

I thought I would share a series of posts with photos and notes for anyone who might be interested in my process. I enjoyed the work so much and hope you will too!



No comments:

Post a Comment