Monday, February 22, 2021

Drawing a favorite rose ~ The Transfer



Now that the drawing is complete and I'm satisfied with the composition, it's time to transfer the drawing to a piece of Fabriano Artistico bright white, hot press watercolor paper. I like the smooth texture of this paper as well as it's ability to take many layers of colored pencil while keeping sharp details. This is very important to my technique. The paper is also acid-free to avoid yellowing. 


In this piece, I made my initial drawing in my sketchbook and transferred to a sheet of tracing paper to allow more light to come through. 

I sometimes use a "light box" that my husband had made for me. He's really handy that way and helps me out a lot. :)  But if it's a sunny day, taping it up on the window works great for me. The tracing paper goes up first with the watercolor paper over top. I'm using a Derwent HB pencil to do the tracing.

After I've finished with the transfer it's time for color! 

No comments:

Post a Comment