Monday, March 22, 2021

Art spaces



Welcome to my studio! This week I thought I'd show you my current art making space and write a little about making time in the day for art.

During the winter and early spring I often move from my larger basement studio to this room upstairs. It's warmer, brighter and just more cozy. It's not elaborate but I have everything I need on this 5 foot folding table along the wall of my daughter's former bedroom. 

But a special room isn't always necessary for the practice that's so valuable in the in-between time. I have been taking a few pencils and sketchbook along with my portable drawing board to sketch while sitting on the living room couch in the evenings. 

No matter where I make art it becomes my "happy place" and I wonder sometimes why I sometimes find it so hard to go there. Maybe it's the fear of starting? Maybe it's the pile of laundry or dishes in the sink that need my immediate attention (or, so I think). But will 15 minutes away from the chores of the day really make that much difference? I think not.

So, I think it's just a matter of scheduling in a bit of sketching every day to achieve my goal of steady improvement in the art I make. 

And here's what's on the drawing board today. Working on color notes and sketches before all the flowers fade. More on that later ~







 



No comments:

Post a Comment